The only lake-themed scenic spot in all of beautiful Zhangjiajie, is Baofeng Lake. Mountains and lush forest on all sides surround this serene and exquisite body of water. Baofeng Lake comprises part of the Suoxi Valley Nature Reserve, which is a subsection of the spectacular Wulingyuan, an UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is situated in the Baofeng Mountain Range, hence the name. With its breathtaking natural scenery, Baofeng Lake is an attraction that must be experienced.
- Baofeng Lake is 2,500 meters (2,730 yards) long, with a depth of 72 meters.
- Baofeng Lake Scenic Area covers an area of 275 hectares, consisting of Baofeng Lake and Yingwo Vilage.
- The lake is actually a reservoir, complete with a dam to hold back the water. It is often used for the purpose of crop irrigation.
- Baofeng Lake is at an elevation of 585 meters (1,919 ft) above sea level.
History Of Baofeng Lake
Baofeng Lake comprises part of the Suoxi Valley Nature Reserve, which includes Yellow Dragon Cave. Suoxi Valley is a subsection of the sprawling Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area, which was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992. Located in the northeast portion, t is the largest of the four parks that make up Wulingyuan. Likewise, Baofeng Lake is the only water site in the core scenic area.
Located in the northern part of beautiful Hunan province, Baofeng Lake is not far from the bustling metropolis of Changde. The lake and surrounding scenic area provides wonderful respite from the urban center. Because it is located at a higher elevation in the mountains, the lake receives its water from runoff, rainfall, and underground mountain springs. It covers an area of about 15 hectares.
The Tujia people have lived in the region surrounding Baofeng Lake since ancient times. In fact, Suoxi Valley (or “Suoxiyu”) means “foggy mountain village” in the Tujia language. It refers to the perpetual fog and mist that envelopes the mountains of the region.
The idyllic, majestic scenery surrounding Baofeng Lake gives the place a magical quality. The curious rock formations of the peaks make it an almost ethereal location to visit. In addition, the clear, pristine waters of Baofeng Lake remain a lovely emerald green all year round.
Culture Of Baofeng Lake
There are numerous highlights within Baofeng Lake Scenic Area including Baofeng Lake, Yingwo Village, several beautiful waterfalls, and Baofeng Temple, among others.
Once a military outpost because of its mountaintop location, Yingwo Village is now abandoned. The literal translation means “eagles’ nest”. According to legend, bandits,who sought refuge there because of the difficult terrain to access, once inhabited the village.
However, those interested in climbing are truly rewarded. Visitors pass through two steep rock columns spaced together, with only a small gap of the sky being visible. Known as “One-Line Valley”, this rare geological formation is only about 4 meters wide, extending up the mountain for about 100 meters.
The ascent to the highest peak is certainly worth the climb. The panoramic views of the surrounding smaller peaks and lush vegetation are spectacular. There is a curious rock formation called “Echo Wall” , measuring around 80 meters high. Yells and shouts are reverberated throughout the surrounding area. Likewise, a massive rock known as “Qingtai Stage” hangs over the canyon. It provides an excellent vantage point to view a variety of peculiarly shaped peaks and rocks. This spot makes for a fantastic photo-op.
Also located in Baofeng Lake Scenic Area is Baofeng Temple. Nestled amid the exquisite, natural surroundings, this temple is nearly hidden by the lush vegetation. What for the isolated location, the temple was constructed to provide an ideal spot for monks to devote themselves to quite contemplation.
At the mouth of Baofeng Lake, is the largest of the waterfalls found in the area. Referred to as Baofeng Waterfall, water thunders down about a hundred meters, providing truly phenomenal experience.
- The best times to visit Baofeng Lake are in April and May, and September and October. The weather is quite comfortable during the spring, and the autumn colours of the vegetation are incredible.
- It is suggested to allot between two and three hours to enjoy all that Baofeng Lake has to offer.
- It is open from 7 AM to 6 PM from April to October. From December to March, the scenic area is open from 7 AM to 5 PM.
- Boat cruises are offered on Baofeng Lake, which makes for a completely different experience from hiking on the shore.