Situated in the eastern section of the extraordinary Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is Golden Whip Stream. Named after Golden Whip Peak that it flows past, the stream meanders through several kilometers of the most exquisite portion of the national park. Visitors follow the stream along paths through tranquil and stunning natural beauty, where numerous species of animals and rare plant life reside. Deemed a UNESCO World Heritage site, Golden Whip Stream is a stunning attraction that cannot be missed.
- Golden Whip Stream is 5.7 km (3.5 miles), meandering through the most enchanting section of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park .
- It is named after the 380-meter high Golden Whip Peak, which it flows past.
- Numerous species of rare trees and wild flowers flourish along the stream including dawn redwood, Chinese dove trees, and an abundance of wild flowers.
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, including Golden Whip Stream, was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992.
History Of Golden Whip Stream
Located in beautiful Hunan province, Golden Whip Stream is a breathtaking area of natural beauty. The Tujia people, the 8th largest ethnic minority in China, have resided in the region where Golden Whip Stream is located since ancient times. The stream is named after the mountain that it flows past, Golden Whip Peak. The entire region comprises Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, which is part of the must larger Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area.
In 1982, China recognized Zhangjiajie National Forest Park (including Golden Whip Stream) as the country’s first national park. It covers a total are of 11,900 acres (4,810 ha). Golden Whip Stream winds through 5.7 km of the most beautiful section of the national park.
Both the stream and national park are part of the sprawling Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area, which covers an expansive 397.5 square kilometers (153.5 square miles). In 1992, UNESCO recognized Wulingyuan as a World Heritage Site.
On 2001, the Ministry of Land and Resources deemed Zhangjiajie specifically (including Golden Whip Stream) as a geopark. In 2004, UNESCO included the area in its global geoparks network.
Sometimes referred to by its Chinese name “Jinbian” Sream, Golden Whip Stream flows from Laomo Gully, joins the Lute Stream in the west and Suoxi Stream in the east. Eventually, it joins the Li River, one of the four main rivers in Hunan Province.
Culture Of Golden Whip Stream
Golden Whip Stream is renowned for its spectacular natural beauty, and tranquil, pristine mountains, valleys, and waterfalls. The stream flows through arguably the most stunning section of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. Golden Whip Stream flows past several peaks and rocks including Golden Whip Peak, Mother and Child Peak, Candle Crag, Great Writer Crag, and Camel Peak.
Golden Whip Peak exemplifies the karst rock formations found throughout Zhangjiajie. It measures 380-meters high. The shape of the rock formation resembles whip, hence the name.
Great Writer Crag is also known as “Wenxing Rock”. This rock formation is said to resemble Lu Xun (1881 to 1936) a leading figure in Chinese literature.
Jumping Fish Pool is another highlight along Golden Whip Stream. The pool formed because of the current and elevation of the stream. During the spawning season, several fish species congregate in the body of water, hence the name.
At the base of Boliu Crag, is a platform that contains the reputed tomb of Zhang Liang. He was a famous statesman and military strategist during the Western Han dynasty (202 BCE to 220 CE). Zhang Liang was a leading figure in the creation of the Han dynasty, and is often referred to as one of the “Three Heroes of the Early Han Dynasty”. After his death, several areas claimed to be the location of his tomb. Zhang Liang was given the posthumous title of “Marquis Wencheng" by Emperor Gaozu (256 BCE to 195 BCE).
- The best time to visit Golden Whip Stream is from April to October. Specifically, April and October are the two best months to visit the stream, and the weather is agreeable during the early spring and early autumn.
- This area of the national park is open daily from 7 AM to 6PM.
- Since Golden Whip Stream is situated inside Zhangjiajie National Park Forest, which comprises the Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area, visitors can use the pass ticket for the entire area, valid for four days from the purchase date.
- Golden Whip Stream is located 300 meters from the entrance of the national park.